The “Dreamwork Online Course in 9 Steps” is a simplified and easy-to-use version of the dreamwork psychology methodology developed by Strephon Kaplan-Williams, designed to be used by everyone interested in exploring their dreams.
The nine lessons are structured as an exploratory flow, in an ever-increasing depth. The dreamwork methods selected for this course provide enough information to help you understand the functional meaning of the dream, not just the symbolic connections.
- Objectifying the Dream is detailing the structures and units of meaning inherent to the dream itself as shown in the dream report.
- Following the Dream Ego focuses on behaviors, actions, non-actions and motivating attitudes and patterns of the dreamer in the dream, then applying these discoveries to life actions and attitudes to evaluate and make changes according to the Reality Principle.
- Dream Dialogue releases unconscious content associated with a dream symbol.
- Dream Reentry helps the dreamer re-experience dream content by going back into the dream through the meditative state and the door of the dream’s imagery and actions. Dream Reentry also works to help resolve dream issues and scenes.
- Dream Enactments are mini-dramas enacted from simplified dream scenes to help the dreamer re-experience dream content and resolve issues.
- Dream Tasks are specific choices to be practiced, coming out of the dream and its dreamwork.
In addition to these dreamwork methods, the course has some steps focused on self-reflection:
- Asking yourself relevant questions, such as: What are you doing and not doing in your dream? Are you active or passive in this dream, and why? What kind of situation or issue is the dream trying to train you about? Are you resisting or in tune with what the dream is doing? What issues need resolving in this dream? Are you trying to control life or let go to a wisdom source such as in dreams? Are you choosing in dreams and life aware of what you are really doing? Who makes your ultimate choices for you? Your ego? Are you dealing with your nightmares and other scary situations?.
- Exploring principles and practices to follow in dreams and life. Once you know the underlying attitudes you can often change them to principles for living an effective and fulfilling life. Some examples: Act, don’t just react! Live without fear. I can control my own life. I should think first before acting. Others are to blame for what is happening to me. Suffering should be avoided and happiness sought.
Before you begin the practice, please read the section About Dreamwork Psychology, to familiarize yourself with the dreamwork process and the psychological terminology.
the dreamwork lessons
Strephon Kaplan-Williams started the first dreamwork training program for professionals in 1979, at his newly formed Jungian-Senoi Dreamwork Institute in Berkeley, California, involving weekly year-long study in the basic techniques for doing dreamwork with individuals and groups not associated with any one school of psychology.
Between 1980-2009 he has given professional training programs to psychologists and lay people in dreamwork psychology in eleven countries: United States, Canada, England, Scotland, Wales, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Netherlands, Germany and Romania.
The educational objectives for each dreamwork method used in this course are listed along with the method.